Last week RLabs hosted its first official Innovation Incubator and Accelerator Launch event with 7 startups demoing their products and services to a capacity audience at the RLabs space in Cape Town, South Africa. The InnovIA event was an opportunity to not only showcase the amazing work that has been done by the social entrepreneurs and their teams but was an opportunity to honour community leaders who have impacted the lives of so many people in communities across the city.
The startups went through a mentorship, development and entrepreneurship programme where each received financial, infrastructure and business development support. Fascinating facts about the startups are that combined they’ve created employment for 19 people, created combined turnover of more than R470,000 ($58,000) while in the incubator, raised more than R500,000 ($65,000) in additional funds.
The startups who launched were:
– Chisana (Community Driven Gang Tourism business)
– She’s The Geek (Women empowerment Digital Angency)
– Digital Factory (Crowd-sourced Digital Agency)
– miGox (Open governance mobile application to share experiences and comment on what is currently happening in government)
– LetzGO (Crowd-sourced public transport route directory)
– Uusi (mobile social network for the unemployed and potential employers in the informal economy)
– Urahisi (a self-help mCommerce application that can deploy stores via mobile phones)
The evening culminated with an announcement of further support for the startups and entrepreneurs who will now be building their businesses creating value and social impact.